On the cover: Emma Watson for Marie Claire


While across the pond she's covering Vogue, here in North American Emma Watson takes the December 2010 issue of Marie Claire.

The 20-year-old Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows star talks with the magazine about saying goodbye to her career-defining character, and being a sophomore at Brown University.

Here's Emma Watson on . . .

MAKING FRIENDS AT BROWN:
"Brown has a real sense of community, and people are very protective of me. They really look out for me; they want me to feel like I'm part of it. I threw my 20th birthday party at Brown, and I didn't even have to say to anyone not to put pictures on Facebook. Not a single picture went up. That was when I knew I'd found a solid group of friends, and I felt like I belonged."

PLAYING HERMIONE:
"Playing Hermione just came so naturally; I had a real affinity for her. I felt like I knew exactly who she was. Like me, she's very loyal and determined, she's very intelligent, and she has a lot of guy friends, as I do. Her eagerness to please and to have the right answer is definitely like me. I'm a perfectionist, so my bossiness definitely comes out."

SAYING GOODBYE TO THE ROLE:
"My last day was pretty emotional. It was sad; it's the end of an era. What an amazing learning experience! I gave everything I could to that role, and I got so much from it."

CHASING PAPER, LIVING HER LIFE:
"I do things in my own way, but I've never felt any need to rebel. To be honest, I've always had far too much freedom. I had a job when I was 10. I started living on my own when I was 17 or 18. I've earned my own money; I've traveled the world. What would I rebel against? I've had so much freedom, sometimes it was hard. My parents wanted to protect me, but they had no idea how to. I had to learn as I went and make my own mistakes. I went from being totally unknown and never acting professionally to being in a major movie and being very famous. It all happened so quickly, I didn't have any time to work things out. It's been pretty scary at times."