On the cover: Lil Wayne for Interview


Lil Wayne takes the May 2011 cover of Interview Magazine, photographed by Bjarne Jonasson.

The 28-year-old rapper was interviewed by -- who else? -- Paris Hilton for the cover story.

(She had a little help from writer Dimitri Ehrlich).

Here's an excerpt in which Paris and Wayne (and Dmitri with the real questions) discuss their respective prison experiences:

EHRLICH: I was reading that during your last month in prison, they put you in solitary confinement for having an iPod or something like that. I've heard that being in solitary is the most torturous thing in the world. What was that like for you?

WAYNE: For me it was okay, because it just meant that I was alone with my thoughts. There were times when it was pretty tough to be by yourself, and to have no television, no sort of nothing. That was kind of tough. But I didn't have to be in there long. It was just a month. I was okay. I did fine.

EHRLICH: Can you still work out when you're in solitary? Do you get time in the yard?

WAYNE: Yeah, yeah. I got an hour in the yard every day, so I was able to do all those things.

HILTON: I had to do 24 nights in solitary. [Hilton was held in a separate cell as a safety precaution.]

WAYNE: Oh, so you know how it is.

HILTON: Yeah, I know how it is.

EHRLICH: Wayne, did anybody try to fight with you at all in prison? Or did everyone just kind of respect you?

WAYNE: You know, we are men and we argue about things. That's the aggression in us. So, yeah, I got into arguments. But there wasn't ever anything too bad.

HILTON: How happy are you to have your freedom now?

WAYNE: Words cannot explain.

HILTON: Yeah, I know how you feel. [laughs] It's the best feeling in the world when you come out.

So yeah. There's that.

Click inside for behind-the-scenes video from Lil Wayne's Interview photoshoot, and over to the mag's website for more of his cover story.