Delayed reaction to Rebecca Black's 'Friday' video


"I trust this is your new favourite song," Darran tweeted at me on Saturday, with a link to Rebecca Black's 'Friday' vid.

On Tuesday I received a text from Lily: "I assume you've seen the Friday video ... but if not you have to YouTube it now."

And then yesterday Devon sends me a message that says "I'm surprised you didn't blog about that stupid Friday song. I can see us dancing to that."

The truth is, I watched Rebecca Black's 'Friday' video for the first time one week ago, which was days after the rest of the world had caught on.

I resisted because I like to be so cool that I don't even care what everyone else is watching on YouTube. Until a few days later.

And now that I've given it a chance, I will admit, I watch it everyday and totally love it.

And here's why.

1. The great seat debate of 2011.
2. It's relatable -- everyone really is looking forward to the weekend!
3. "Fun fun fun fun."
4. I've always wanted to be in a car in front of a green screen, so I could picture myself driving with the help of special effects.
5. The stellar graphics.
6. "We we we so excited . . . we so excited."
7. "Sunday comes afterwe-e-e-eerds."
8. Random rapper shows up to save the day.
9. That party under the tree looks pretty bomb. In a completely sober, smiling and head-bopping kind of way.
10. How awful this song is.
11. How great this video is.
12. How spectacular Rebecca Black is, in a distinctly uncharismatic kind of way.

I mean, truth: if I was 13, and part of this video, I'd be pretty damn proud of myself.

And hey, today is coincidentally Friday, so it makes most sense to listen/sing along to this today.

Which seat can you take?