TV alert: So You Think You Can Dance finale


Tonight Kent Boyd, Lauren Froderman and Robert Roldan dance for America's votes one last time, during the season seven performance finale of So You Think You Can Dance.

I think Kent's had this competition wrapped up ever since Alex Wong was eliminated due to injury in week four. That said, the person I want to win usually comes in second, so there could be an upset from Lauren.

If we look at the facts, however, Kent has not landed himself in the bottom three once even when superior dancers (Billy Bell) repeatedly had to dance for their lives. Kent's got that endearing personality to win over voters, even if the judges complain he's pulling faces during his routines.

I'm still uncertain how I feel about season seven overall. I loved the idea of contestants dancing with all-stars from past seasons. And I could certainly watch Allison Holker, Mark Kanemura and Neil Haskell dance all day. But I don't know if their presence enhanced contestants' performances or distracted from the less-seasoned dancers.

I can most definitely say I did not enjoy that the judges had the final say on who went home until the penultimate week. Cristina should have stayed longer; Jose should have been gone weeks ago (Though I guess he wasn't often in the bottom three).

Thing is, the judges' decisions didn't even ensure genre diversity among the contestants, and not even a close gender divide. Lauren's been holding it down as the only girl in the competition for weeks now! In that case, why not completely hand the power over to audience voting?

At any rate, this season has produced some pretty stellar performances, in between the usual god awful Tyce DiOrio routines.

Above, check out a highlight from last week: my season seven crush Kent Boyd dancing with my season three crush (all-star) Neil Haskell, choreographed by my season two crush Travis Wall.

The So You Think You Can Dance performance finale airs tonight at 8 p.m. on CTV and FOX, with a two-hour results show tomorrow.