Blake Lively on . . .


BALANCING HER CAREER WITH EVENTS AND PREMIERES:
"I love what I do. I love my work . . . At the end of the day, a premiere is a premiere. It's not somebody living or dying. So for me, this other stuff - well, the perks - is not the reason I do the job. Couture fashion week, getting to meet Karl Lagerfeld and John Galliano and Christian Louboutin is so exciting. It's like being a little girl and looking at these designers saying, 'Can you imagine one day seeing all of those ball gowns?' But at the end of the day I wouldn't be there without my job. There are a few things in life that matter above all else: your family, your friends, your loved ones. But everything else comes and goes-especially in this business where everything is so of the moment."

WHOSE CAREER SHE ADMIRES:
"People always ask me that and I always answer with men. Which is not to say that there aren't incredible women in this business, but I feel like men are still given much better opportunities. I feel like there are so many people I admire for so many reasons that I can't look at one person's life and say, "I want that life." I want to make my own history."

HER ACTING INSTINCT:
'I don't know. I think it comes from the fact that I never really thought about acting as a child. It wasn't like, 'This is the career that I want to pursue.' So when I first started acting, I was more concerned with just being on a set and all of the woes of that, and I didn't really know it or understand it as a craft yet. When I saw my first movie, I was fine, but I thought, 'Oh, my heavens. It's not about just standing there on my mark and saying these lines. I need to actually act.' It was great to have my first opportunity be such a big role, but also not great because all of the mistakes I made-the entire learning process was on the big screen for everyone to see. That's been something, movie by movie, that I've been able to grow and learn from-that I always need to work harder to be better because it's still a new craft for me."

SHOOTING A SEX SCENE WITH BEN AFFLECK FOR 'THE TOWN':
"Well, I have a big family and no one ever treated me like a child. They always treated me like an adult, like an equal. But with acting, I think half of it is just acting confident. We stand on these red carpets and pose in these dresses, but we're all only so confident. It doesn't mean we think we're great looking or anything. It's all a façade. But the sex scene was really awkward. It was my first day, so thank you for that."

SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS:
"It was on par with Avatar . . . I mean, for its time. [laughs] Avatar has exceeded it now. . . Yes, it was successful. It was an amazing first job. And all I had to do was miss finals at school? So I thought, 'Well, this is great. I'll just try out acting and see if I like it.'"

[more at Interview Magazine]