Brandon Flowers flies solo at MOD Club (and it's good)


I'm going to try to ensure this review of Brandon Flowers' guest list-only show at Toronto's MOD Club Wednesday night does not consist solely of discussion about how hot he is.

So let's just get this out of the way. For at least 55 minutes of his one hour set I was thinking about how much I wanted to do him.

I can't help it. It's who I am. And it's who he is.

Brandon's eyes and smile are so dreamy they make me feel better about life.

And he's one of the only men I've ever come across who I feel can actually pull off a vest. That's not a statement I make lightly.

B.Flo is out promoting his new solo album Flamingo, a collection of songs he's said were partially intended for the next Killers album.

And while the songs themselves are nothing groundbreaking for the singer, he performs them with an apprehensive yet excitable energy that is infectious.

Musically, let's think more Sam's Town than Hot Fuss. Some of the songs definitely edge toward a country feel. Slightly more reflective than anthemic.

This being the second time I've seen him in concert, I was once again shocked at the strength of Flowers' voice. Backed with a new four-piece band as well as two female backup singers, Flowers commanded the performance with his vocals, and a few theatric flourishes.

He also seemed slightly more relaxed in his performance Wednesday night than I've seen him in the past. Perhaps it was the small club venue, or the fact that he knew not many in the crowd would recognize these yet-to-be-released songs. But it appeared that he actually enjoyed being up on stage, and it was kind of refreshing to see.

The collection of new songs he performed was punctuated by a cover of Bette Davis Eyes, and Losing Touch off of the Killers' Day & Age. And for his encore, he performed an acoustic version of the Killers' hit When You Were Young.

While the audience responded favourably to these recognizable songs, the rest of Flowers' set was indeed entertaining. He even won high reviews of a friend, who admitted she wasn't a Killers fan but really enjoyed this show.

Flowers' desire to continue making music while his Killers bandmates take a break is admirable, and not entirely in vain. He delivered a solid show -- and appeared to be having fun -- even without the energy of a crowd eagerly singing along to every word.