On the cover: Emma Stone, Garrett Hedlund for W


Emma Stone and Garrett Hedlund are featured on their own W Magazine covers for January 2011.

Stone, who just received her first Golden Globe nomination at 22 for Easy A, tells the mag it took a while for producers to recognize her comedic abilities.

"I don’t think people thought comedy was my M.O., and it was," she says. "They always cast me as 'the girlfriend' or 'the young girl with attitude.' I would lose my mind if I felt like I had to be something like 'the pretty girl.'"

Hedlund, meanwhile, is now starring in Tron: Legacy, though he tells the mag it took a while to get from his farm in Minnesota to Hollywood.

"Growing up, I would watch a movie on video and would go to the back of the VHS and locate the address for Universal Pictures or MGM or whatever. I’d write to the studios asking them if I could be in a movie. They never wrote me back," he says. "When I was 14, I moved to Arizona to live with my mother . . . For two or three years, I flew to L.A. for auditions . . . I remember the reaction to my first audition: I think the phrase was 'You sucked pond water.'"

Click here to ch-check out other stars featured in W's "Generation Now" issue.