2010 in review: top TV


As much as I love TV, it pains me to say that as we prepare to ring in 2011, I count only two series as appointment television: Gossip Girl and Brothers & Sisters.

The former has improved drastically since last season, while the latter has taken a complete nosedive, abandoning any storylines that had momentum.

I did just buy my parents the first season of Modern Family on DVD, which we're collectively killing by watching six episodes at a time.

But truth is, these days I spend more time watching Golden Girls and Friends reruns than first-run TV.

There were a few bright spots on the TV dial, however.

1. Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics
I can honestly say I've never taken such an interest in the Winter Olympics as I did this past year. From David Pelletier's stellar figure skating commentary to Clara Hughes' emotional victory speech and the men's hockey team's battle to the finish, for a few weeks I watched Olympics every chance I got.

2. Gabourey Sidibe: talk show guest
2010 was Gabourey Sidibe's year! Not only was she nominated for an Oscar for her breakthrough role in Precious, but she also proved to be one of the most delighful talk show guests on the circuit! If this whole acting thing doesn't work out, talk show personality may be her calling.

3. 2010 Emmys: Cold open and Modern Family pretape
Who knew that something Jimmy Fallon was involved with could actually be funny?! The Late Night host took reigns of the Emmys, and opened them in fine form with an all-star musical performance featuring Tina Fey, Jon Hamm and the cast of Glee. Later, a taped bit about how to improve Outstanding Comedy winner Modern Family brought the laughs, with the help of George Clooney.

4. Kent Boyd and Billy Bell on SYTYCD!
Format changes and multiple contestant injuries made for a tumultuous So You Think You Can Dance season. While the all-star format didn't completely work, Kent Boyd's goofy charisma and Billy Bell's impeccable dancing talent were more than enough reason to tune in. (Season three's Neil Haskell as an all-star was also amazing).

5. Daily Degrassi
"I must say the four-days-a-week format the series tried out this summer totally worked for me. Seriously, it got me back interested in this show, after I had quit watching years ago. Probably didn't hurt that there were two queer storylines, with the show's first trans character, and Riley the football star finally, finally, finally FINALLY coming out."

6. Yes, I have seen Chelsea Lately
More popular than ever, Chelsea Handler didn't hold back in her celebrity interviews over the past year. My personal faves include flirting with her then-hookup buddy Dave Salmoni, gossiping with Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir, and talking pregnancy with my rock goddess Alanis Morissette.