2010 in review: Toy Story 3


Toy Story 3 is the best movie I've ever seen.

I saw it in the theatre in the summer, and watched it again on DVD with my parents this week. And still, I can't rave enough about it.

The movie takes place as 17-year-old Andy is preparing to go off to college, leaving all his beloved toys except Woody behind in the attic. After a series of unfortunate events leaves the toys feeling shafted, they end up in a local daycare, which initially excites them as they will be played with again!

But when they discover the corruption of Lotso Hugging Bear, the leader of the toys in the daycare, Woody must help Buzz, Slinky, Potato Head and the rest of the gang make their escape.

This movie has everything you could ever ask for: comedy, action, drama, suspense. In the theatre I gasped out loud multiple times, and even watching it again at home I found myself exclaiming "Oh no!" during the suspenseful bits.

The characters are every bit as animated, lovable, hilarious and flawed as in the first two installments, and are of course the strength of the movie. You feel for them and want Andy to care about them as he once did, and you certainly don't want to see them suffer at the hands of the careless daycare children.

The animation itself is impeccable, and I am constantly impressed at Pixar's attention to detail, which makes you forget you're watching an animated movie despite the incredible happenings onscreen.

But more so than previous installments, I found Toy Story 3 carried throughout an emotional message about growing older and feelings of abandonment. As Andy grows up, the toys question whether they should stay loyal to their friend or seek love from other children.

It was enough to make me to dig my teddy bear Domino out of my closet and give him a place of prominence back on my bed.