2010 in review: top songs (11 - 20)


The soundtrack of my life is filled with pop hooks, dance beats, songs from Broadway and the occasional hip hop or rock track for good measure.

Here's part one of my top 20 tracks I listened to on repeat over 2010.

(Obviously personal favourites, and not necessary released in 2010).

11. Naked Eye, Kelly Clarkson
A leaked track that may or may not appear on Kelly's new CD expected in 2011. If this is what the whole album is going to sound like it can't be released soon enough. So deliciously poppy as Kelly does so well.

12. Lisztomania, Phoenix
This song was definitely released in 2009, but I listened to it a heck of a lot in 2010.

13. Defying Gravity, Original Broadway Cast of Wicked
Hoooow had it taken me so long to see Wicked?! In 2010, I finally saw the musical masterpiece, and adopted Defying Gravity as a new anthem.

14. I Believe, Nikki Yanofsky
I still get emotional thinking of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics tributes set to this song. Also, I couldn't/refused to stop singing it all around Toronto after Canada's men's hockey team took home the gold.

15. OMG, Usher
Between OMG and DJ Got Us Falling in Love, Usher sure got me moving in 2010.


16. Your Love Is My Drug, Ke$ha
You know I don't particularly support anyone who replaces the S in their name with a dollar sign. But unfortunately, as much as I try to resist, Ke$ha's songs are undeniably catchy. God dammit.

17. Bulletproof, La Roux
I kind of feel like this song has been out forever, but I definitely have memories of 2010 dance parties set to it.

18. Tightrope, Janelle Monae
"Off her most recent album the Archandroid, it's part pop, part funk, part soul, part rock, and all catchy. I now realize how silly I was to not jump on Janelle Monae bandwagon earlier."

19. Empire State of Mind, Jay-Z f/ Alicia Keys
In addition to conjuring up memories of our famed 2009 trip to NYC, Empire State of Mind is just an awesome track. Also, when Vanessa and I went to Chicago in September, we couldn't think of any songs about the windy city, so sang this Jay-Z track throughout instead.

20. United State of Pop 2009, DJ Earworm
Is it wrong to list a mashup of 2009's top songs as one of my favourite tracks of 2010? If so, I don't want to be right.