2010 in review: On the cover


Abs were flaunted, blood was splattered, gowns were modeled and fierce poses were stricken to be featured in my "On the cover" feature over the past year.

These are the ten magazine covers that were so eye-grabbing I almost even purchased print copies.

1. True Blood cast for Rolling Stone
"Holy mother of fuck. True Blood stars Alexander Skarsgard, Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer take it aaaaalll off for the cover of Rolling Stone's September 2, 2010 issue. They also appear to have splish-splashed in some blood before the shoot."

2. Anne Hathaway for Vogue
"Howard Jamieson soured me against Hathaway long ago, with her distaste for the actress. But there's no denying Hathaway looks gorgeous on this cover. She actually reminds me of Belle from Beauty and the Beast (and I love love love that movie)."


3. Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling for W
"The actors look their beautiful selves as usual, but I do have one bone to pick. If Ryan Gosling was pushing his lips up against your cheek, would you not look a little more interested than Ms. Williams does?"

4. Cheyenne Jackson for Out
"Holy lord. I want to go to there. 30 Rock star Cheyenne Jackson is posing like nobody's business for the November 2010 issue of Out Magazine."

5. Tina Fey for Esquire
"Though the 39-year-old funny woman looks hot hot hot handcuffed to a cop on the cover, she says she wasn't completely sold on the wild night out setup for the shoot. 'I got an e-mail [from Esquire] with a list of the potential setups, and my e-mail back was like, Well, I need to decline being handcuffed to a bed. I won’t straddle anyone. I won’t make out with a cop,' she says."


6. Matthew Morrison for Details
"Norman Jean Roy photographed the actor in Malibu, back in September. Plans to shoot a humorous cover were scrapped once the creative team at Details discovered what Morrison looked like sans shirt."

7. Ryan Gosling for Interview
"Ryan Gosling gives a great interview in the November 2010 issue of Interview Magazine. (Not to mention the 29-year-old actor looks so damn hot in the accompanying photo shoot)."

8. Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway for Entertainment Weekly
"God damn, what I wouldn't give to be Anne Hathaway on the cover of this week's Entertainment Weekly. Getting cuddled by naked Jake Gyllenhaal and shit."

9. Lady Gaga for Vanity Fair
"Gaga tells the mag she tries not to have too much sex, for fear it will sap her creative energy. 'I have this weird thing that if I sleep with someone they’re going to take my creativity from me through my vagina,' she says. So. Yeah . . ."

10. Rob Lowe for Men's Fitness
"The former Brothers & Sisters and current Parks & Recreation star shot the cover back in May, at which point he tweeted 'Shooting cover of Men's Fitness today in Malibu for the Oct. issue. Gonna be great; I've borrowed Hugh Jackman's abs.'"