On the cover: James Franco


James Franco takes the October 2010 cover of the Advocate, for a story in which he discusses why he enjoys playing gay characters.

“In this history of cinema, there are so many heterosexual love stories,” says Franco, who played Harvey Milk’s lover in Milk and will play a young Allen Ginsberg in the upcoming Howl. “It’s more interesting to me to play roles and relationships that haven’t been portrayed as often.”

That said, he recognizes why an actor might still be hesitant to reveal publicly that he's gay.

“Sure, I’d tell you if I was,” he says. “I guess the reason I wouldn’t is because I’d be worried that it would hurt my career. I suppose that’s the reason one wouldn’t do that, right? But no, that wouldn’t be something that would deter me. I’m going to do projects that I want to do. Everyone thinks I’m a stoner, and some people think I’m gay because I’ve played these gay roles. That’s what people think, but it’s not true. I don’t smoke pot. I’m not gay. But on another level, there’s something in me that is able to play roles like that in a way that’s convincing.”

For more of James Franco's Advocate cover story click here.