David Guetta on Britney, Nicki Minaj and Snoop



I had no idea David Guetta would be so charming.

The French house music producer and DJ exuded a ton of positive energy as he came backstage to answer questions at Sunday night's MuchMusic Video Awards.

I quickly learned he's one of those people who can make you smile through his own excitement for what's going on around him.

So much so that I simply had to post the audio, hoping you'll be able to catch some of his vibes.

Check out a few choice quotes from his press room Q&A below, or press play for full audio, in which he also discusses working with Snoop Dogg, his next album, and who he still hopes to work with.

Any truth to rumours about a single with Britney Spears?

It’s not happening. We spoke about doing something with Will.I.Am. and her, and to be honest we didn’t have the time to finish. To tell you the truth, we started something and I was in the middle of my album, she was also really into hers, so I’m sure we’ll do it sometime, but we didn’t finish it. But I wish her the best.

You had to really chase after Nicki Minaj to get her to work with you. Are there any other artists you’ve had to continuously bug to work with?

Usually I never really court artists, they usually call me so I can produce for them. But I was really a big fan of her work a long time ago, so yes I did. I chased her, and it finally happened, and there’s my new single [with Minaj] ‘Where Them Girls At,’ and that’s having a great start. And then we have another very good one coming together, and I think people are going to be very, very surprised by this one, because I took her somewhere really new and I’m really excited about it.

You have a huge gay following. What are your thoughts on gay marriage and the gay movement?

Um, the gay movement? I didn’t know it was a movement. As you probably know, house music was born in gay clubs and actually I worked for 10 years at the gay clubs so I know this world very well. Because I was always into house music, and the only place where I could play it was gay clubs. And gay clubs were so much better. I don’t think it’s like this anymore – I think ... now it’s just like because gays are more accepted, they also became more normal, which is not as fun.

You’re a producer who gets credit above the performer on a song. When did you realize you reached that superstar level as a producer?

You have to understand where I’m coming from. My music became pop because a lot of those artists came to me to make records for them, but I’m not coming from the pop world. So in my world, we follow DJs and producers, we don’t really follow singers. So I know it sounds crazy to normal people, but that’s how it goes in the house music scene.

All my life I was buying records because they were produced by this DJ or that DJ. So I made a name for myself as a DJ, and I had my people following ... Then when I had proposals from people to make records for them, first I was working with urban artists … And so they came because they loved my music. They came to have fun with me in the studio, but without imagining it was going to become so big, especially from America where they’re from. So it was more like “Oh let’s do a record together” just for fun, but it was not me working for them, it was like me inviting them in my world.