On the cover: Florence Welch for Interview


Florence Welch in black and white graces the November 2011 cover of Interview.

The Florence + the Machine singer is interviewed by Baz Luhram for the cover story, in which she reminisces about performing for a crowd full of A-listers at the Met Ball earlier this year.

"It was just one of those moments where I realized that my life had become a very strange place," she says. "When you’re dressed up as David Bowie, with your eyebrows completely bleached, and you’re doing this kind of strange dance with Paul McCartney while singing 'Rebel Rebel' in the middle of the Met ball, and Madonna’s looking at you . . . I was just thinking, It’s become a bit weird."

At a normal show, however, Florence is all about the fans.

"What I really like seeing from the stage is people having their own moments, when people are doing some performance of their own. I like seeing people acting out the moves," she says. "I was always that girl growing up who you could find dancing down supermarket aisles. It’s that sense of not feeling inhibited. Dancing in supermarkets is my favorite thing."

I'll have to try that next time I'm at No Frills!

Ch-check out Interview.com for more cover story, and click inside for additional striking photos by Craig McDean.